Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mysterious reaction....

Hey everyone....this is Chris writing today.  I've got to tell you about the last several days and how I've been battling a skin "rash" on my face.  I first noticed on Sunday, while eating lunch, that the corners of my lips were sore and the plastic cup I was drinking out of, was really irritating the crease of my mouth on both sides....and I mentioned to Amanda that I was going to drink only from glasses, not plastic anymore.  Well, Monday I went to school and all morning my lips were still really sore, and then that afternoon my skin just below my bottom lip began to itch like crazy, and by the time I got home Monday night, my whole chin area had become red and irritated and itched like crazy.  It was hard to notice at first because I have facial hair, but there is no doubt that I was itching all around my mouth and my lips were beginning to develop little "water blisters" around the edges and felt extremely dry and burned.  Well, I took some Benadryl Monday night, and when I woke up Tuesday morning to get ready for school, I looked in the mirror and did a double-take....for the man looking back in the mirror looked like Will Smith from the movie, "Hitch." Ok....maybe not quite that bad....but I'm telling you....my right eye was almost swollen shut, and both eyes looked red and puffy and I had an abnormal amount of "sleep" in the corners of both eyes.

Amanda was not impressed with my new face....and told me that I probably should stay home from school since we didn't know what was going on with my skin.  Well, I took some more Benadryl and stayed home, but by Tuesday evening, I had red bumps behind my left ear, on the back of my neck, and even in the crease of my left elbow, and my eyes were still badly swollen and my cheeks were both red and splotchy and itched like crazy.  Angie and Amanda decided that I should probably go to the hospital and let a doctor check it out, since 24 hours of Benadryl had not seemed to stop the reaction in the least bit.

Well, after getting some blood tests run.....and having some "steroids" given to me in a nice "little" shot in my hand...and given some "cream" to rub all over my face and neck, the doctors sent me home for the night, and asked me to come back in the morning.

Here is what my face looked like this morning.....


This was actually much better than it was Tuesday afternoon/evening.....but I went back to the doctor this morning.  He was pleased with how my face looked, and gave me a prescription of "Prednisonol" to take for 2 weeks or so....and advised me to continue the "cream" as long as my face was itching.

I am so ready to get back to school, as I have been extremely bored the last two days at home.  Amanda has had to substitute for two of my classes, and I know she's ready for me to get back also.  But she has been incredibly supportive, and even sat at the hospital with me last night for a few hours as we waited for doctors and blood work, etc....  I love her!!

Ok....I'll keep you updated on my "condition."  until next time.....

4 comments:

Cara Beth said...

I hope they figure it out! It's nice to have someone their with you for support, doesn't it! Marriage is great! I'm praying for you and your FACE! :)

Marsha Braswell said...

I hope they figure out what caused the reaction so you can avoid it from now on. I'm glad the prednisol cream is helping - allergy rashes are very uncomfortable, besides rearranging the features on your face. Keeping you both in my prayers! <>< Marsha

Tara Rye said...

Father, YOUR mysterious touch heals. YOUR touch healed so many while YOUR SON walked on this earth and it has ever since. I ask that YOUR touch the point of origin to bring about a complete and sustained healing in the powerful Name of JESUS! Please show Chris and Amanda where this rash originated and what caused it that it might be avoided at all costs. Please guard my beloveds in Jesus' Name, AMEN! Tara Rye

Kecia said...

Wow...you do look rather Hitch-ish...is it better yet?