Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Window Within

Chris and I just got back from our doctor's visit, and it was quite the eventful and MOST exciting doctor's appointment I have ever experienced.  We knew we were going to have an ultrasound, but we also hoped we would hear the baby's heartbeat.  God was good in that we got to experience both.  We are 9 weeks and 4 days, but the little guy (or gal) is measuring 10 weeks and 5 days.  Chris thinks it's a boy, and he takes after him :) :)  He's already wanting to sign those football scholarships :)

BUT the amazing part was when the doctor pushed on my stomach and the little one jumped (looked like a popcorn jump), and then he waved his hands and feet back and forth really fast.  Whatever the doctor did, I guess he didn't like it, AND he let us know it. :) :)  I think today it finally hit home that God is growing a life in me, and we are actually parents.  I know he/she is still a little thing, but there is nothing like hearing your child's heartbeat and knowing that it's a little part of you and a little part of your husband.  The miracle of life astounds me!!

We have another appointment set up for October 28, and she will do another ultrasound. There is nothing wrong (she said the baby is completely healthy), but she wants to measure his/her neck to check for any abnormalities, which she completely does NOT suspect!  So, in two weeks, we will get to see the little one yet again.  I think we will get "spoiled" to seeing him so often.

So until then...I'm sure we will continue to update you guys on ALL the interesting things that happen during pregnancy WHILE living in Africa.

3 comments:

Cindy Walker said...

Oh, wow! What excitement there must be for both of you today! I remember the first ultrasound I had of Chris (they only did one or two in those days!)and it truly IS amazing to see and hear the little being that God has created! I pray for him/her everyday and am excited that he/she is going to be LOOOONG maybe! Those Walker/Ritchie genes are good ones for heighth!

Cara Beth said...

yay! So exciting! I'm so happy for y'all! :)

Kecia said...

That is so exciting and wonderful! You're right, there's nothing like it. I love experiencing it again through reading your blog. :) (and even 13 years later I sometimes still think, "Wow...I'm a parent!)