Thursday, December 16, 2010

Christmas Traditions

So the last few weeks I've been thinking about Christmas traditions.  Most families have them, and they are SO much fun and unique to each situation.  This will me our first Christmas together, and, as usual, it will be a bit different.  (We will be staying with the Walkers (Cindy & Tommy) Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, and we are SO looking forward to it.) Chris and I laugh at the fact the we have yet to have a "normal" relationship and a "normal" marriage.  Today we celebrate our 11 month "anniversary," and so much has happened in that 11 months.  We got married, Chris graduated from seminary, I moved out of a church staff position, we found out we were pregnant, AND we moved to Africa.  Yes...all in the 11 months of marriage.  So my thoughts have been:  What if this IS normal for the Walkers?  We will bring a precious little one into the world in 5 months, so I've been thinking about traditions...especially holiday traditions.

I have some very creative family members and friends, so I figured I could ask you guys.  What are some ideas for Christmas/holiday traditions that can be celebrated no matter where we are located?  Next year we could be in our own home, at one of our parent's home, or we could be overseas.  We've quit guessing what God will do with us from month to month.  So if you have any ideas, PLEASE feel free to share them.  I am open to whatever.   I love the holiday season, and I'm excited to hear what you guys say!  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!


This is our home in Ruston. 
My brother and sister-in-love are staying there while we are away, and I thought I would brag on Kim's creative ability!  
Beautiful!!

3 comments:

Cindy Walker said...

As you and Chris form YOUR family traditions, I would keep in mind that what is important is to teach your children to think about the real meaning of the season...the birthday of Jesus! I have no doubt that you will do that, but sometimes in the midst of the hullabaloo, it becomes difficult to keep that focus! Have a happy birthday, Jesus, party; do something for another family anonymously AS a family; let your children help you shop for the Giving Tree at your church, school, etc.; attend candle-light services together; go Christmas carolling with friends; remind children of others they might want to give gifts to; as children grow older take them to a homeless shelter, soup kitchen, to visit the poor in some way so they can gain perspective on what they truly have and what is TRULY important! Oh, I have many suggestion and will gladly pass them on to you through the coming years! ALWAYS read the Christmas story before opening gifts, etc. Merry Christmas, Feliz navidad, and can't wait to see you both in 3 days!

hclairec said...

Not all traditions take place on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. One of our favorites is our anniversary; we usually eat out then Christmas shop (just the two of us). For Baby Walker – start a collection of Christmas Books (the kind with the real meaning of Christmas). Try to have one for each day (Dec 1-25), you may be able to find some on sale while you are home. Find something unique about your first Christmas as husband & wife and repeat it each year.

Kecia said...

I grew up with my dad in the Navy, and our traditions were a big part of our stability. Our most important Christmas tradition was our birthday party for Jesus on Christmas Eve, right before going to bed. My mom would fix some kind of special dessert, like ice cream snowballs or cheesecake, and each of us would have our own with a candle in it. We would put our nativity scene on the table and my Dad would read the Luke 2 Christmas story by candlelight. When he was done, we would sing "Happy Birthday" to Jesus and blow out our candles. Those are some of my most precious memories.